- Story Ideas
- Send Corrections
Zucchini season is upon us. Those of you brave (or naive) enough to plant zucchini in your garden will appreciate this helpful 15-step Zucchini Season Survival Guide.
1. Locate two dumbbell sized zucchinis in the mass of zucchini vines that overtook your garden.
2. Use the zucchini as weights to strengthen your arm muscles.
3. Get out your industrial sized grater, and shred the dumbbells.
4. Use 6 cups shredded zucchini to make a triple batch of these delicious cupcakes.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Terra Brownback
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
½ cup applesauce
cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups packed, grated zucchini
½ cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat your oven to 350°. Place cupcake papers in a 12 cup cupcake pan.
Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix the sugar and wet ingredients, adding the zucchini last. Add the wet to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Spoon into the cupcake pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool before frosting. Excellent with cream cheese icing. Makes 12 cupcakes.
5. Share the cupcakes with your neighbors. Be careful not to trip over the zucchini vines that have overtaken your yard.
6. Read ‘A Garden For Miss Mouse’ by Michaela Muntean and Christopher Santoro to prepare your family.
7. Reach out your kitchen window, and pick more zucchini from the vines creeping up the exterior of your house.
8. Call 911. Zucchini has overtaken your house.
9. Make a huge batch of this delicious recipe to feed the firemen who chopped their way to your front door.
Carrot and Zucchini Ribbons with Bacon
Adapted from the Deen Brothers
2 large carrots
6 small zucchini
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs bacon drippings
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 lime, juiced
Cut carrots and zucchini into thin ribbons with a Mandoline slicer.
Cook bacon. Set aside and reserve 2 Tbs bacon drippings in the pan.
Over med-high heat, sauté minced garlic for 30 seconds. Add the carrot ribbons, followed by the zucchini ribbons, salt, pepper, rosemary, and lime juice. Cook for 6 to 10 minutes. Chop the bacon and stir in.
Serve alone or with white rice. Yield: 6 servings
10. Send several hundred pounds of zucchini home with the firemen to use in their weight room.
11. Shred, blanch, bag, label, and freeze a hundred more pounds of zucchini.
12. Buy a bigger freezer.
13. Donate a hundred pounds of zucchini to your local food bank.
14. Breathe a sigh of relief, you’ve survived zucchini season.
15. Treat yourself to a zucchini cupcake.