Brothers arrested for stalking in Douglass (Berks)

DOUGLASS (Berks) — Police have arrested two brothers who allegedly violated a protection from abuse order on June 4.

Israel Velez, 45, of Douglassville, was charged with misdemeanor stalking and cited for harassment after his longtime life-partner went to the Berks County Courthouse in Reading to apply for a PFA, police said.

Velez, who had been living with the victim in a house on Old Philadelphia Pike in Douglass (Berks), was evicted from the home by Judge James Bucci of Berks County Common Pleas Court as a part of the PFA order, police said.

According to the police report, a deputy sheriff from Berks County told Velez that he was not to stalk or harass the victim.


But Velez did not heed the instructions and began to stalk his longtime love.

Police said that the victim saw Velez slowly drive by the house, then Velez would call the victim and tell her that he was watching her.

A friend of the victim was at the house during one of Velez’s drive-bys and a subsequent phone call when Velez described to the women what they were both wearing, the police report said.

In the affidavit of probable cause, police said that Velez stated he did not want to hurt the victim but that he just wanted to be near her.

“This behavior is concerning to anyone,” the report said.

Police said that Guillermo Gerena Velez, 41, was also caught violating the PFA on behalf of Israel Velez. He was arrested on June 11 by township police, police said.

Guillermo Velez was also charged with a misdemeanor count of stalking and cited with harassment, according to court paperwork. He was arraigned on June 11 in front of District Judge Kim L. Bagenstose, who set Velez’s unsecured bail at $2,500.

His next hearing is scheduled for June 19 at 3 p.m. in District Judge Michael G. Hartman’s courtroom, according to court documents.

Israel Velez was arraigned on June 7 in the courtroom of District Judge Michael G. Hartman and he was confined to the Berks County Prison in lieu of $5,000 bail. He was supposed to appear in court Wednesday but the hearing was continued and at the time of publication a new date had not been set.