The Woman’s Club of Kutztown recently celebrated its 85th Birthday with a dinner meeting at Moselem Springs Golf Club.
The 35 ladies in attendance began the evening with hors d’oeuvres and an opportunity to browse through several of the club’s scrapbooks borrowed from The Kutztown Historical Society. After a delicious dinner and a chorus of happy birthday they enjoyed cake and ice cream to celebrate. Tucker Landis provided enjoyable entertainment on the guitar. After a short business meeting the members reminisced about many memorable club events from the past.
The club was organized in 1928 in the Town Hall by twenty women. Mrs. James S. Grim was the first president and there were 42 Charter Members. Other officers included Mrs. William S. Dry and Mrs. Charles H. Esser, vice-presidents; Mrs. Henry E. McCullough, recording secretary; Mrs. George Roher, corresponding secretary; Mrs. Helen E. Millard, treasurer; and Mrs. David Edgerton, auditor. In 1929 the Kutztown Club became a member of the county, state, and national Federation of Woman’s Clubs. In 1933 the club started one of its most important projects: the Student Loan Fund. This Fund is now a Scholarship Fund that donates seven monetary awards to Kutztown High School graduates each year. Woman’s Club is now an independent organization that also serves the community by supporting the Kutztown Library, Friend, Inc., Community Choir, the swim team, and Relay for Life. Members also provide Bingo for residents at Kutztown Manor every month and send fifth graders to see the Nutcracker ballet each November.
Meetings are held on the second Thursday of September, November, March, and May at 7:30. Most meetings are held at St. Paul’s UCC, Kutztown. Women in the community are invited to join and become a part of this organization. For information about joining and the location of the September meeting, call 610-683-3679.