On Saturday, Sept 29, 16 marching bands throughout Pennsylvania gathered at the Boyertown Area Senior High School Memorial Stadium for the 53rd Annual “Original” Cavalcade of Bands.
Boyertown East and West Junior High Marching Unit set the tone for the evening through an introductory performance. The Boyertown High School Band honored their director Glen Brumbach, as this will be his last cavalcade before retirement.
Performing marching units, in addition to Boyertown, were Phoenixville, Pottstown, Owen J. Roberts, Pottsgrove, Governor Mifflin, Quakertown, Palisades, Greater Nanticoke, Wissahickon, Central Bucks West, Central Bucks East, Hatboro Horsham, Pennridge, and Upper Moreland.
The Boyertown Marching Unit is not in place rankings of the Yankee class bands, the host band of the competition never competes for a place finish in their hosting event. However, they are judged and critiqued just as all the other bands. The standings show Boyertown “in exhibition” meaning non-competing but they did score the highest score of all the Yankee class bands.
The results were as follows:
• Upper Moreland received first in the Yankee Division, with Owen J. Roberts following in second and Central Bucks East in third. Pennridge placed fourth, followed by Quakertown, Gov. Mifflin and Pottstown.
• Pallisades was scored as outstanding in the Freedom Division.
•Phoenixville placed first in the American Division, with Pottsgrove second.
• Greater Nanticoke placed first in the Independence Division with Wissahickon in second.
• Hatboro-Horsham took first in the Liberty Division followed by Central Bucks West. Hatboro-Horsham receive special awards for high auxiliary, overall music and highest score.
• Owen J. Roberts received an award for overall visual and Pottstown’s band was recognized for its outstanding pit crew.