Next time you make spaghetti for dinner – make extra noodles for spaghetti pie! Similar ingredients to a lasagna or baked ziti, but a different presentation and a unique way to enjoy all the flavors separately instead of in one mixed casserole. I’ve made this many times for a covered dish dinner or to give when I wanted to leave a meal with someone as a sign of friendship. This can easily be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 pan to serve a crowd.
With a spaghetti crust and a creamy ricotta filling, our saucy easy-as-pie Spaghetti Pie bake is the kind of recipe that’s perfect for a busy weeknight family meal.
• 1/2 pound cooked spaghetti
• 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
• 2 large eggs, well beaten
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
• 1 cup ricotta cheese
• 1 cup spaghetti sauce
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, toss spaghetti with olive oil. In a small bowl, combine eggs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir into spaghetti then pour into prepared pie plate, and form into a “crust.” Spread ricotta evenly over crust, but not quite to edge, and top with spaghetti sauce.
3. Bake uncovered 25 minutes, then top with mozzarella; bake 5 more minutes, or until cheese melts.
4. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cool 10 minutes before slicing into wedges.
When you’re making spaghetti for your family, plan ahead and make an extra 1/2 pound for this recipe.
This is a great make-ahead dish: Just assemble and freeze it without cooking. Thaw then bake just before serving.
Linda Yuengel resides in Fleetwood.