Itís time! This is the week I answer your food and cooking questions, and share your favorite recipes.
Iíve been making your yogurt recipe for the past few months and I love it! I do have a few questions, though. Itís always fairly runny. What can I do to make it thicker? And why do I need to heat it to 200 degrees? Isnít it already pasteurized? - Heidi in Lancaster
Iím glad youíre making your own homemade yogurt! To thicken it you can:
- Strain the finished yogurt through a cheese cloth until itís no longer runny. We usually strain our yogurt until itís the consistency of Greek yogurt. Keep the juice (whey) from straining. Itís chock-full of beneficial bacteria!
- Add another tablespoon of yogurt to your quart jar before adding the milk.
- Let the yogurt incubate for a few more hours. The longer it incubates, the thicker (and sourer) it will be.
- Use whole milk or add cream to the milk.
- Add powdered milk, gelatin or another thickener.
Pasteurized milk needs to be re-pasteurized (heated to 200 degrees) before making yogurt because during packaging it is often contaminated with stray bacteria. Bringing the milk back up to pasteurization temps ensures that all harmful bacteria is destroyed, and keeps them from proliferating during incubation.
Anyone interested in learning how to make their own yogurt can visit www.tricountyrecord.com and search for my article ďJust for Yogurt.Ē
Microwave English Muffins
From Jeffery in Lebanon
Because of food allergies, we have to avoid breads. I was missing my daily English muffin for breakfast until I found this recipe. Itís so fast and easy. Weíve made plain, cinnamon raisin, honey and garlic muffins from this recipe.
Yield: 1 muffin
1/3 cup almond flour
1 Tbsp coconut flour
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp olive oil or melted butter
2 Tbsp water
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the egg, oil and the water and mix well.
Butter a ramekin and pour the batter into it. If batter is not pourable, add more water.
Microwave for 2 minutes. If the center of the muffin is still raw, microwave 30 more seconds.
Slice in half, toast, and enjoy!
I would be remiss not to mention that today is my (not so) little boyís birthday! In honor of his birthday he wants everyone to eat a pickle. Have at it.
The last Tuesday of the month I endeavor to answer your questions and share your favorite recipes. Send them to me at email@example.com.