If you like the taste of root beer then you’ll love this lip-smackin’ chicken! The root beer flavor adds a rich caramel accent to the BBQ sauce. I can’t say that there is a strong flavor of root beer, but the flavor complements the other ingredients for a flavorful bar-be-que. If you aren’t like me and have your grill handy all year, bake the chicken in the oven until done.
• 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 cup root beer
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken pieces in baking dish; season with salt and pepper. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until no pink remains in chicken and juices run clear.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; mix well and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, until sauce is reduced by half.
4. Preheat grill to medium heat. Coat chicken with sauce and grill 5 minutes per side, basting frequently with sauce. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.
Linda Yuengel, of Fleetwood, enjoys sharing recipes.