Do not smoke in bed. Better still, do not smoke.This lesson was brought to reality in the early morning hours of Sunday, Aug. 24 at the Boyertown Inn.

A resident chose to smoke while in bed, resulting in a smoldering, heavy smoky condition that spread the smoke beyond his room. All of the tenants were roused from their sleep and needed to leave the building.

The response of emergency personnel - professional and volunteer was overwhelming. We, in the Boyertown Area, are truly blessed to be surrounded by so many well-trained men and women who are ready, willing and able to respond so quickly to a call for help. A resounding "Thank You" to each of you. The response from the Berks Fire and Water Restoration also came quickly.

The Salvation Army provided comfort, care, meals and support for the residents until they were allowed to return to their rooms by mid-afternoon.

Again, a "Thank You" to all of the responders from our hearts.

And again - do not smoke in bed - preferably, do not smoke. It is detrimental to your own health and safety as well as to the health and safety of others.

The Houck Family

comments powered by Disqus