WEBSTOCK 2020-police news

State police Thursday night arrested a Birdsboro man  accused of setting a barn on fire on the Union Township property where his estranged wife resides.

Kyle M. Large, 30, whose last known address is in the 1000 block of Hay Creek Road was taken into custody by troopers after they announced the charges and the arrest warrant in a press release Thursday afternoon. At the time, troopers said they didn’t know his whereabouts.

Details of his arrest were not provided.

Court records indicate he was committed to Berks County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail following arraignment late Thursday before District Judge Carissa L. Johnson in Reading Central Court.

Large faces charges of arson with intent to destroy an unoccupied building, reckless burning or exploding, criminal mischief, loitering and prowling at nighttime and defiant trespassing.

Passersby reported the fire shortly before 7 a.m. Sept. 18 in the 1700 block of East Main Street, which is Route 724.

The structure, a two-story wood frame Pennsylvania bank barn, sustained fire damage estimated at $50,000. Route 724 was closed for four hours while crews battled the blaze.

According to the probable cause prepared by Trooper Janssen Herb, a state police fire marshal based at the Reading station:

The fire started at the floor level on the southeast corner of the building and was deliberately ignited by an open flame.

Three days after the fire, Large’s estranged wife told Janssen that she resides on the property with her mother and that she and Kyle Large had not resided together for several months.

She said Kyle Large frequently tried to contact her and she had his number blocked on her phone. To get her attention, she said, Kyle would throw things at her window. If that didn’t draw a response, he would break things on the property, such as windows of the barn or abandoned vehicles.

She also said he would burn items such as mattresses on the property.

She provided security camera footage from the rear of a nearby residence. It showed a man with a mohawk haircut with a flashlight strapped to his forehead — whom she identified as Kyle Large — approaching a propane grill and transferring gas from the fuel tank to a pair of smaller canisters.

Janssen arranged for a consensual wiretap to record the woman’s conversation with Kyle Large. In the conversation, he denied setting the fire while admitting to throwing items at her window in the past to get her attention.

He told her, "It’s going to get worse every time I go over there.”  He also told her that she had the power to stop the harassment.

On March 3, the woman provided Janssen with further information from a Gmail account used by her estranged husband that included a map showing he was in the vicinity of the property and fled immediately after the fire was ignited.

comments powered by Disqus