H. M. "Merv" Harris, 94, a former Montgomery Twp. resident, passed away Oct. 14, 2007 in WillowBrook Court at Normandy Farms Estates, Blue Bell.Born in Kingston, PA he was the son of the late Henry T. and Margaret (Morgan) Harris. He attended Bucknell University where he played football until sustaining a career ending injury. He continued his education at American University in Washington, D.C., where he graduated.
Merv was first employed as an insurance adjuster for the PA Workman's Compensation Board. Upon the outbreak of WWII, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served 4 years as a Lieutenant in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. After WWII, he owned and operated Harris Trucking in Wyoming, PA.
In the early 1950's Merv moved to the Philadelphia area and began his career in the automobile industry, operating two used car centers, Speedway Motors in Langhorne and Automotive Trading Post in Reading. In 1956, he moved to the Lansdale area and opened Merv Harris Oldsmobile, now Harris Buick-Kia of Lansdale. He retired in 1988, spending summers in Avalon, NJ and winters in Bradenton, FL.
Merv loved the outdoors, hunting, fishing and boating. For many years, he captained his Grady White Sport Fisherman "JUSABOAT" out of Avalon. He was also an avid swimmer at the Lansdale YMCA and a member of Mitchell Lodge No. 296 F.&A.M. in Germantown. He enjoyed fine food, drink, and more than an occasional cigar.
He is survived by two sons, Merthyn R. "Merray" Harris and his wife, Joanne and their daughter, Melissa, of Quakertown and H. William "Bill" Harris and his wife, Judith, and their daughters, Sarah and Emily of Worcester. Merv was preceded in death by his second wife, Anita, and two sisters, Ruth David and Nancy Harris.
Serices were held October 22, 2007.
In lieu of flowers, contributions in his memory may be made to American Cancer Society, 700 Horizon Circle, Suite 201, Chalfont, PA 18914.
Arrangements: Huff & Lakjer Funeral Home, P.O Box 854, Lansdale, PA