Bally fir

Crews battle a fire Tuesday night on North Fourth Street in Bally.

A family is homeless after a fire damaged their home in Bally Tuesday night.

Fire crews from Berks and Montgomery counties were dispatched to the fire on North Fourth Street at 8:05 p.m.

Eastern Berks Fire Department Chief Michael Muter, who was the first to arrive on the scene, reported heavy fire in one home of the four-unit section of townhouses and flames possibly spreading to adjacent units, officials said.

State Police Fire Marshal Janssen M. Herb ruled the fire as accidental and estimated the damage at $75,000.

The homeowners, Robert and Sandra Ensminger, are being assisted by family members, he said. 

Herb said his investigation determined the fire started along the wall in the garage near an electrical receptacle. 

Crews from the department’s Bally Station, just two blocks from the scene, quickly arrived to attack the fire with multiple lines, keeping it from spreading to the adjacent units.

Herb said the fire crews saved the neighboring structures. 

The Ensmingers were able to remove a vehicle from the garage before the garage became engulfed in flames, Herb said. The vehicle sustained minor damage.

The bulk of the fire was extinguished quickly. All residents escaped safely and a pet cat was found uninjured.

There were no reported injuries.

Fire police from Eastern Berks and Boyertown controlled traffic around the scene.

Personnel from the Bechtelsville station, along with firefighters from the other three departments: Boyertown Fire & Rescue and Hereford Fire Company in Berks and Pennsburg Fire Company in Montgomery, battled the fire.

comments powered by Disqus