WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP — A 75-year-old Washington Township man who was rescued by firefighters from his burning home over the weekend has died.

Richard Minford of 585 Lenape Road was pronounced dead Thursday at 2:32 a.m. at Lehigh Valley Hospital, near Allentown, according to the Lehigh County coroner's office.

The cause of death was smoke inhalation and the manner was accidental, officials said.

Minford had been hospitalized since a three-alarm blaze at his home Sunday evening.

According to officials:

The fire was first reported at 5:27 p.m. as a garage fire.

When firefighters arrived, flames had engulfed an attached garage. Minford's wife, Marie, met firefighters outside and told them her husband was trapped on the second floor of the home.

With no air tanks of breathing apparatus, firefighters entered the house and tried to get to Minford. They were forced to turn back, along with Marie, who had followed them into the home, when the heat and smoke became unbearable.

Some of the firefighters leaped from a second-floor window.

Fire crews with protective equipment arrived and rescued Minford.

The Minfords, both in their 70s, were taken by ambulance to Lehigh Valley Hospital for injuries related to the fire. Marie Minford has since been released.

In addition, eight firefighters were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, heat exhaustion and other medical issues. All the firefighters who were taken to the hospital are expected to fully recover.

The house sustained significant damage, including a partial collapse of the roof.

comments powered by Disqus