What's the surprise ingredient between the layers of lasagna noodles? Seasoned mashed potatoes! This hearty pierogi lasagna, topped with zesty cheddar cheese, is a must-have for your recipe collection. This lasagna tasted like a mouthful of pierogies, you just have to try it yourself!
Â€¢ 12 lasagna noodles
Â€¢ 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Â€¢ 1 large size onion, finely chopped
Â€¢ 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Â€¢ 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Â€¢ extra cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top
Â€¢ 6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. SautÃ&Copy; onions 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add remaining onions, pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.
4. Place three noodles on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top). Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.
You might want to add a few cooked sliced mushrooms to the potatoes, or maybe a cup of well-drained sauerkraut. And season your mashed potatoes however you like them... salt, pepper, and butter work fine.
Linda Yuengel is a resident of Fleetwood.